This week has been rather uneventful. I have opened at work a couple of days and started a new class, American Government. It rained just about every day, creating a rather gloomy week. While being tired and bored, I tried to make the best of it.
Furthermore depressing, Wednesday night Emily and Kevin decided to ditch me for a BBQ restaurant. Therefore, I was left to decide my own dinner plans, which I am rather happy about. I decided to make Quinoa. An uncommon food in modern homes, however gaining popularity, Quinoa is one of the healthiest existing foods.

Quinoa is not only extremely high in protein (good for vegetarians), but also provides ALL 9 amino acids. Additionally, it is an excellent source of manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, and phosphorus. For more health benefits of quinoa visit The World's Healthiest Foods.
Considering it is gluten-free, I tried making quinoa once last year when my mom went through her gluten-free stage. Quinoa is a grain, however has extremely low gluten content. I absolutely loved it when I made it last year, however, have had little chance to cook it again. Tonight I thought was the perfect opportunity.
I cooked some zucchini and yellow squash (both from Columbia Farmer's Market!). I sliced them and put them in the oven with salt, pepper, and shredded parm. Yummmy. Then I mixed the veggies with quinoa, fresh squeezed lemon juice, basil, and feta. I ate this with a bit of Hummus and Pita on the side.
As I had said, I began my second summer course, American Government. Soooo exciting!!
Huge perk I am extremely proud of. As far as I could see there is only one copy of the textbook for my American Government course in Missouri Librarys (available through Mizzzou). Of course, University students are either dumb, careless, or clueless as to how the library functions. Well, I on the other hand am aware... however, a bit of a procrastinator. I bought my textbook Monday from the Mizzou Bookstore for $150... seriously! A paperback book that expensive!.. I thought, ridiculous! Additionally, we only have three days to return it. Therefore, instead, I checked the library, ordered it and got it in perfect timing to get my $ back from the bookstore!
Lastly, I promised myself in memory of my mom I would always keep fresh flowers around the house. So far, I think me and my sister have done an awesome job. Well, the first plant I bought (I don't even remember what kind it is!), originally had flowers, and within a week or two they died. I was so depressed, thought I was a bad momma! However, I kept the plant anyway because the greens were still looking good. Talking to family and friends, they were so positive, telling me, the flowers will probably come back. & they were right! This week they did. It literally made me entire week. Mom would be proud. :)
Awesome post. Love the Quinoa! Going to try and make that. Great that the flower came back and fresh flowers always make me feel good!
ReplyDeleteThe last couple posts have been enjoyable, and that dish looks delicious. Word!
ReplyDeleteIt's a violet, silly. An African violet to be exact and your mom has given me about 5 since we met. I love and miss her, she would be so proud of your green thumb!
ReplyDelete