
Making avid bikers total only 400,000 of Missourians.
I'm hoping to help Missouri increase that number to 401,000! (Especially now that my dad fixed my bike.)
However, I called my dad today with my one concern.. a pretty big one.. fear of sharing the road with drivers. Generally, when riding my bike I've either been in neighbourhoods or at least with my dad who would help guide me through busy roads. Riding by myself on busier roads is definitely a concern for me. Therefore, I asked my dad for advice. Additionally, I looked online advice for bike safety and rules of the road.
Advice from my dad:
- Be careful when looking backwards, this is often how you swerve into traffic or lose control.
- Something I wouldn't have thought of- make sure your shoes are tied well! They can get caught and this can be super dangerous... My genius realization today: wear shoes without laces!
- Those were his main two suggestions, just in general, be careful.

Safety tips: (AKA, how to not get hit by cars..)
- Never ride against traffic.
- Obey traffic signals and signs, just as if you were a car.
- Use hand signals.
- Ride in a straight line. (My own tip: no drunk cycling!)
- Don't weave between cars.
- Make eye contact with motorists: make sure they see you.
- Look back before passing or merging.
- Watch your speed
- Be equiped: including using appropriate lights at night, riding a well-equipped bike, and keeping bike in good repair.
(there are more tips on the website)
Rules for Cyclists AND motorists:
- Be Aware: Watch for unexpected occurrences: car doors opening, etc. And of course, be aware of other cars/bicycles when changing lanes.
- Always Signal: Just like motorists, bicyclists are also expected to always signal before they turn, change lanes.
- Be Courteous: Avoid provoking other motorists or cyclists- it can lead to accidents and injury.
- Report Incidents: Report accidents and reckless behavior to the police
GetAbout Columbia is an awesome organization that has further information regarding biking, walking, etc. Additionally, they offer classes and hold events. Definitely an organization worth getting involved in!
WHY BIKE!??!
If it's not just for getting places faster (than walking at least) or feeling the breeze in your face (love that!). Then consider the endless benefits:
Health Benefits
With the major increase in obesity across America, bicycling is a great way to get exercise. It's a proven fact that those who are active live longer and feel better. Participating in exercise can lower your risk of obesity, diabetes, some cancers, and heart problems.
With the major increase in obesity across America, bicycling is a great way to get exercise. It's a proven fact that those who are active live longer and feel better. Participating in exercise can lower your risk of obesity, diabetes, some cancers, and heart problems.
Transportation Benefits
Bicycling can help reduce road congestion. With more cars on the road there is more of a chance for gridlock, wasted tme and energy, pollution and driver frustration. Ride your bike ad help lower these problems!
Environment and Energy Benefits
Environment and Energy Benefits
Similar to transportation benefits, riding a bicycle rather than a car will lower pollution. " In fact, according to the EPA, transportation is responsible for nearly 80 percent of carbon monoxide and 55 percent of nitrogen oxide emissions in the U.S."
Economic Benefits
Obviously, riding a bicycle is free... well of course if you don't have to buy the bicycle. However, I mean unlike a car, a bicycle does not require the purchase of gasoline to make use of it. Gasoline is extremely expensive. It is even proven that, "According to 2004 data from AAA estimates and US Census surveys, ownership of one motor vehicle accounts for more than 18 percent of a typical household's income." SAVE MONEY, BIKE! (Thanks to: Pedestrian and Bicycling Information Center)
I mean come on, you wake up in the morning jump on your bike, wind in the hair, ride straight through traffic, laugh back at the dumbies, breath in cleaner air, work off your morning breakfast, and save 10 dollars for the day... who could say no. :)
I am an avid cyclist and understand your fears. Chicago is a great cycling city but you do have to be on guard at all times. I think of it as driving my car but I'm on my bike. Always anticipate drivers and pedestrians. People get distracted. You will be fine and build up your confidence slowly on short rides and I tend to pick streets that aren't to busy. GOOD LUCK! I commit to work as much as I can in the warmer months and its so much better than driving my car.
ReplyDelete