Thursday, June 9, 2011

Continuing to Pretend I Have a Green Thumb

As most know, my mom always loved plants... I mean she was a florist and alwayss insisted on having plants inside and outside the house. As a kid, I hated the plants considering it was my summer job to get eatin by misquotes while watering the plants... but of course, I now love having them around. However, it is the easy to care for plants that I attempt to buy.

Anyhow, I am extremely lucky to be dating someone that shares in my love for plants. Since my birthday we have continued to enhance our plant collection. Some are doing great, some we have no idea what we are doing, and some are not doing so well...

Before we started dating, a fellow co-worker gave Steve this plant. (I tried to look for it online, I believe it is a Jade Plant). It has been the easiest, most enjoyable plant to watch grow.

Then for my birthday, Steve got me one of my favorite plants ever, an orchid! However, the orchid continues to be the most difficult plant to keep alive? (Question mark because I am not even sure if it is alive..)

The problem I am having with my orchid, is the leafs continue to grow, however, the stalk (which I cut) will not grow. If anyone has any suggestions on how to save or help my orchid to flower again. I would love to hear it. Even if the advise is... there is no saving it :(

Then, once Spring arrived, we needed more plants! Together, we went to Lowes (I always thought was my moms favorite place to get plants). We bought a Mass Cane (left) and I forget what the plant to the right is called. These two plants are extremely easy to care for. A bit of water and indirect sunlight. Prettty easy.


Hopefully, our plant collection will grow & maybe we can get some more colors in there...

1 comment:

  1. If you cut the aerial roots off you might be toast. The water in Columbia is super hard... Orchids hate hard water so you need to soften it beforehand (boil water and let it cool).

    Also try, north facing light. They are rainforest plants that naturally grow facing north, something about the sunlight that way.

    Great blog! Hope you're doing well. Tell Steve I say hi, and give my love to kaldis.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List