Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fall Foods

I love Fall! I actually just wrote a blog at work today, Fancy that... Fall Favorites. about how much I love fall. I seriously need to buy or eat everything on that post. It really is starting to feel a lot like Fall in St. Louis. Which I love and hate. I love getting out fall clothes & I love eating new meals. But, I also hate how much I want to go shopping and that the days are so much shorter... It's hard to get up and I want to go to bed earlier, how does that even work?

Anyway, speaking of new meals. I've already tried a few new recipes this week!

Chicken Pot Pie from the Kitchy Kitchen... the only time (that I remember) having pot pie growing up was similar to this, with biscuits instead of pie crust. & biscuits with rosemary... no need to go further, I needed to cook this.

Now I changed the recipe, well a lot...

Ingredients:
- 3 oz. butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups potatoes
- 1 whole white onion
- 1/5 lb of cooked chicken breast, cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 1/2 cup peas

Preheat oven to 350

1. In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter and with a whisk stir in the flour. This will create your roux. Cook for a minute
2. Slowly add your veggie broth, then the milk.
3. Add a bit of this liquid to your beaten egg, mix together, then add the egg mixture to the pot (this is tempering the egg so it doesn't cook when added to the hot liquid)
4. Add in your veggies (I did not add in the chicken yet)
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. I then transferred this mix to my (new!) casserole dish, where I then strategically placed the chicken on one half for Stephen :)
7. Put in the oven for 20 minutes, until BOILING hot... if not boiling then the bottom of the biscuits won't cook! 


BIscuits: (this is the recipe I use for biscuits & gravy)
-  2 cups all purpose flour




-  1 tsp salt
-  2 tsp baking powder
-  1/4 tsp baking soda
-  7 tbsp of butter (frozen)
-  3/4 cup cold buttermilk (milk+vinegar for me)
-  1 tbsp finely chopped Rosemary

1. Whisk Dry Ingredients
2. Cut butter into small pieces and cut them into flour until it resembles coarse crumbs
3. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk - stir until just combined
4. Turn dough onto floured surface and pat into a rectangle - fold into thirds 3 times
5. Cut out biscuits

Turn the oven up to 425. Pull out the casserole dish and place biscuits on top. Cook for another 25 minutes. 

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List